Our kids are the centre of our world; they are the heartbeat of our community. We can support our kids and young adults when they have hard times. We need to stay connected to them and help them stay connected to family and culture.
To be there for each other and to maintain our spiritual connection is important.
These things might help
- Make use of our parents and carers, our extended family, especially our Elders, for they have lived and learned.
- Teach our kids to identify with and know their extended family.
- Teach our kids how to respect others and why it is important.
- Don’t ‘knock’ but value the differences that each person has.
- Try not to do everything yourself …share it around (O’Loughlin, no date)